NLP plays a vital role in communication because it focuses on the potential of a machine to understand and analyze human speech. The goal is to make interactions between humans and computers and to try to decipher natural languages, which makes the communication between human to computers a lot easier.
If NLP is used, a machine can understand the input it gets, analyze the words we use for the search, and provide an adequate response. The main reason a machine like a search engine is unable to understand what we are searching for is that we do not know how to form the question “in the right language.” That can happen if the search query is worded broadly or with unnecessary filler words, which can confuse the search engine.
Where can you find NLP?
- Spam Filter: Nobody likes spam emails. NLP is the first line of defense by scanning through the content, and if it recognizes spam, it automatically puts it in a spam folder or marks it as potential spam.
- Content Marketing: In the digital marketing industry, NLP made it easier to analyze and summarize content, which, as a result, also made it easier for the user to consume and understand it.
- Search Engines: NLP and machine learning processes are also implemented in search engines. Natural language search is essential to provide the right result to a search query.
Why is NLP important for Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search engines like Google process our search requests to find the relevant online content. To do that, Google’s core search algorithm is based on NLP techniques. They are improving search results by getting an understanding of how the words we use relate to each other in a specific sentence. That means NLP allows the search algorithm to parse the meaning of the sentence.
- Content Targeting: With the use of NLP, attention has moved from targeting keywords to targeting specific content. You can use it to discover the topics that are really relevant to your audience instead of relying on a gut feeling. By recommending relevant content, you can also improve the time a user spends on your website.
- Link Building: Creating relevant links is essential to attract the right target. The logical placement of internal links can help a user discover content and search engines to evaluate what the content is about. At the same time, it will also improve your website’s user experience.
- Search Engine Results Pages (SERP) Analysis: By using NLP, you can analyze the concepts that are driving the changes in the SERPs of a search engine. It will help you to adjust your SEO efforts, which can result in a better ranking.
- Smart Redirects: NLP allows you to create smart redirects, so a user can find the page he or she is looking for. This will enable you to route the user to the right topic by intercepting the alternative descriptions a topic could have.
SEO can be overwhelming. You have to put a lot of time and effort into achieving a high rank for your website, but fortunately, there are specific strategies that can help to improve your ranking.